Just a few of my lovely felted purses

Saturday, September 19, 2009

This is why I teach

So, I realize it has been a few days since my last blog, but it has been a good few days. Yesterday I had three students stop by my classroom---three old students. Two that are at the career center and one that I haven't seen for several years---Sean. Sean was that kid that most people gave up on and I never would. I promised myself that I would never let any child slip through the cracks and Sean was one of my babies several years ago. My room was his sanctuary and I was his advocate within the school walls. He walked into my room with his wife, Christy, who was his girlfriend while he was in school. He was wearing his army fatigues. I couldn't have been prouder. Here he was, someone who I treated like a son, who I always told to at least get his GED, here he was married and enlisted. He hugged me right away and told me right away that he had indeed gotten his GED. So awesome. Every time I question my teaching and if I make a difference, things like this happen. A child is alive another day, I reach a child that seems impossible to reach or I get to see where they are now. I do love teaching and am blessed that I have a calling. For me, there is more to my calling though. I am suppose to teach, be a mom, be a wife and also be a writer.
Life is good, no complaints, no regrets just smiling, loving, living, teaching and writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment