Just a few of my lovely felted purses

Saturday, September 12, 2009

It's Saturday and time to relax

Today is my dad and mom's thirty-ninth anniversary. They are in Maine and having a wonderful time, I am sure. I am amazed and happy that they have been together for this long and now, they are actually cuter than ever. So, "Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!"
Today, I rested and tried to work out my back, all the while trying to take it slow. Yesterday I walked around with a cane at work and was miserable. I believe that I pulled my back or strained something, not fun. So, resting is my middle name right now. That and spending a wonderful girl day with Heather. We watched girl movies and laughed and smiled together.
Yesterday, I walked the halls with my super cool red wooden cane and my students loved the cane! They were concerned for me, but I was okay. I woke up yesterday in pain, unable to sit up easily or sit down after I got up. I did have a moment of, "should I go to school?" And then realized that I knew the answer. The day was September 11th and no substitute could tell the story of this date better than me to my children. After a hot shower and many tears from the pain, I got dressed and headed off to work.
I went about my day, slower than usual, but I did what I had to do. Second period rolled around and an announcement over the intercom stated that we were going to have a moment of silence, do the pledge of allegiance and then, we were encouraged to talk about this day. Well, after the pledge, I asked my students what they remember from September 11th, 2001. They told me that they were in second, third and fourth grade and most did not remember much in the way of how it affected them. I spoke with them about my memories of the day and how, for so many, it felt like they were watching a movie on TV and not a real event. I talked about the importance of our troops overseas and how blessed I feel to know that so many young men and women are fighting for our freedoms. I spoke of how bad things happen and how important it is to enjoy every moment of your life and tell your loved ones that you love them. How, we may lose our mothers, fathers, husbands, wives, brothers or sisters, but we must live on to honor them. They would not want us to give up, they would have wanted us to be everything we were destined to be. So, at the end of this talk, I cried in front of this class of 23 and I apologized for making some of them cry. My teacher's aide thanked me for coming that day, knowing how much pain I was in and how I felt it was important for me to be there. The rest of the day was good, a hard day due to the pain, but good.
Today, I rest and tomorrow, tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment