Just a few of my lovely felted purses

Monday, August 31, 2009

Another day in paradise!

Every single day I teach, I make a point to say at some point, "Welcome to another day in paradise!" This I mention at the beginning of class on many many occasions. My students are figuring me out just as I am getting to know them. So far, they are pretty awesome with just a few bumps on the road of knowledge.
I teach Theatre second and third period and tomorrow is their character sketch presentation day. My students have created monologues that they are going to read aloud---either at their seats or at the podium---depending on their level of comfort. Some of my students are going to do accents, others are just going to read as their character, I am excited as always. I love presentation days. It is always fun to see what the kids come up with. I am comfortable once again in my teacher skin and have talked with many students since last week, reconnecting with my children and finding out about their summers and for some---their lives after high school. I know that this teaching part of me is full filled every time I help, every single time I hug a child to me and console them and every time I help them realize their importance in the world. Life is not easy when it comes to being a teacher. I teach one hundred and fifty students and have a study hall with twenty-eight kids, making a whopping 178 or so kids I discipline daily. I feel good about my teacher/parenting skills that make it easy for me to teach them. I love seeing the moments where they truly understand what I am trying to teach them and comprehend the level of my caring. That moment is a wonderful one. Sometimes it is found when they see upperclassmen hug me with a smile filled with respect and caring. Other times, it is when they see me counsel a child and hold them close. But, eventually, they realize that I care and hopefully, they realize that I am not the only one. These children, many of them misunderstood or living hard home lives, these babies pretending to be grown ups, I do what I can while they are mine. I always tell them upon officially meeting them, "from this day forward, you are my children and I am here for you if you need me. You are my kids and I am yours. You are going to grow up, become who you are suppose to be and even then, you will be my old kids, but, I still care about you and want to know all about your life." I tell them, "the door is always open, if it's locked, just knock." Thus, another day in paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment