Just a few of my lovely felted purses

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

It is early and I am at peace

     It is the wee hours of the morning and I am awake. It seems that, knowing full well that I should or could be sleeping, my body says, "nope! Let's get up!" It always amazes me how this seems to be a daily happening and I thought that I better be good and do what I am suppose to do and that is write. As you probably noticed, I am getting rid of my cellphone and can't wait to hand it over to Verizon today and say, "see ya!" due to the amount of time spent on the phone with them trying to figure out why I can't get proper service where ever I am. In my house, I have had to lean up against a window to get reception or, I have had to walk outside, which is not good when it is super hot for this lady with MS. So, land line is the way of my world now and I am at peace. Also, for all of those people who are attached to their cellphones like they were their life force...take a day without the cell, see if you can survive...who knows? It might be good for you? People have asked me, "what will you do if you get in an accident or you break down on the side of the road?" My answer is---ON STAR. Just resigned up yesterday and it only costs me $12.99 a month compared to an astronomical amount for phone service that is inadequate. And, amazingly, before cellphones, we survived.
     I might be going backwards, but I don't think that we need to be tethered to technology. I have a problem with the sound of a phone interrupting time with my husband or daughter. We might be mid conversation and the phone rings while we are out doing something fun. Now, I do need to get use to the sound of a phone at home and am not too excited about that, but I will get use to it. Also, I can always ignore it if Heather and I are reading together, learning or spending quality time. She is getting older so fast and I refuse to have technology come between us.
     As for my feeling about other technology, obviously, I like computers as I am blogging on one right now, but I do not like the idea of KINDLES, IPADS and other devices that you can read books off of. I can understand their convenience, but this book lover has to have the tangible book in my hands wherever I go. People tell me, "you can actually turn the page on the computer and it is like a real book!" To this, I say, "buy a real book!" or better yet, frequent your local library. Now, in cases where you have audio books read to you, that is great, especially for my Granny who needs it read to her due to her Macular degeneration. But, do we really need more technology that takes the place of the earthy feel of the tangible book? I don't think so.
     This week, I reorganized my guest room and started setting it up to be my writing and reading room. Heather will also share this room as it will be her schoolroom. We are both so excited to have this room as our own and Heather understands the value of quiet and a space to read and learn. In the process, I put out all of my Harvard classics that where my Grandpop's first purchase after he married my Granny. It was so nice to see all of these beautiful books laid out for all to see and it help to remind me of the importance of the written word.
    My next endeavor is to read the classics along with Pulitzer Prize and Nobel Prize winners in literature. This is a life long goal and will help me have a better understanding of history as well as become a better writer. I look forward to the challenge and am happy that Heather will see me continuing my education and realize that you are always learning.
     So, to sum up, think about your cellphone, your KINDLE, your IPAD. Think about the fact that maybe you are alittle too attached to it or them. Step away from it for a day, maybe two. Try having a day or a week without any television. Go outside or spend some time with a good book in a hammock. Have a tickle fight with your children or play tag. Life is too short if you are always plugged in.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, Jen! Well said. I have a best friend, Rhonda, who says essentially the same thing. I want to continue to hold book sin my hand.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Martin, I totally agree about the kindle. Im such a book junkie, i like to have them all lined up on my shelf. a kindle just wouldnt be the same!

    ReplyDelete