Just a few of my lovely felted purses

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The True Meaning of Christmas by---me!

The True Meaning of Christmas


By

Jennifer Martin

List of Characters:

Narrator-any age

Santa Claus

Kayla-7-10 years of age. She is our main character trying to

understand what Christmas really means to her

Helen-Kayla’s mom.

David-Kayla’s dad.

Shopper #1

Shopper #2

Sarah-small girl from the soup kitchen

Tommy-cancer patient-child

Jamie-cancer patient-child

Bella-cancer patient-child

Suzanne-retirement home resident



The True Meaning of Christmas



(Enter---Narrator)



Narrator: In a world filled with shopping malls, instant

messaging and black Friday, it is hard to find what Christmas is all about. What is this day? This time of year? What does it mean to us? To you? So, let’s sit back and watch this story unfold and hopefully you too will see what the true meaning of Christmas is all about. The scene starts in a mall, music is playing. We see Kayla sitting on Santa’s lap. It is Black Friday.



Santa Claus: Hello little girl, what would you like for

Christmas?



Kayla: Hello, Santa. I want a PlayStation 3 and I want new games

for it including the LEGOS Indiana Jones and Harry Potter.



Santa Claus: Wow, that is a list. Is there anything else you

would like for someone else?



Kayla: Well, no, that about sums it up.



Santa Claus: Okay, well Merry Christmas to you!



Kayla: You too Santa!



Helen: Now Kayla, remember that Santa can’t possibly get all of

those things for you. He has other children to get presents for too.



Kayla: Why not? I didn’t ask for much.



Helen: A PlayStation 3? Do you know how much those cost?



Kayla: Well, no, but Santa can get those things for me, isn’t

that his job?



Helen: No and well, yes, but Christmas is so much more than just

getting presents.



Kayla: Okay, well then, why are we at this mall? And, why is

everyone looking angry if they are so happy about Christmas?



David: What your mother is saying is that Christmas is not just

about getting presents and that it is about spending time with family and…



(voices cut their conversation off)



Shopper #1: Give it back! I had it first!



Shopper #2: No you didn’t! I grabbed it before you even touched

it! My son has to have this toy! I’m not gonna let go! It’s mine!



Shop clerk: Now ladies, please…I don’t want to…



Shopper #1: Tell her to let go of this toy or I am gonna start

throwing punches!



Shopper #2: Oh yeah? Well, I can take you!



Shop clerk: Security! Security, please!



Kayla: You were saying, dad.



David: Okay, so maybe we have our priorities messed up. I mean,

yes, if you look around today, everyone looks a little angry. Maybe they promised their child that they would get the latest XBOX or the newest IPOD, so, yeah, they’re stressed out.



Helen: But, honey, we’re not like that. We value time over

things, okay? I mean, we go to museums together and plays, we spend our free time together all the time and, Oh wait, I have to get this call, hello? Yes, okay…



David: I know, bad example, but what if I could show you people

who truly have the Christmas spirit.



Kayla: That would be great, because, so far, all I see are angry

people not being very nice at all.



David: Well, I was going to wait until you were older to use

this, but now is the perfect time.



Kayla: Dad, what are you doing? Hey! That’s that compass you

always carry around! What is going on?



David: Kayla, I was given this compass by my father and he was

given it by his father. It showed me what Christmas was all about when I was your age and now, it is time for me to show you. So, hold onto me and close your eyes and you will get…



Kayla: Yeah, yeah, a big surprise…What? Wow! Let’s go!



Narrator: Kayla and her dad traveled through time and space to

another place filled with many people. It was a soup kitchen and the line out the door was long. Let’s see what happens next.



Kayla: Well, this is definitely different than the mall. Hey!

Why are so many people in line? Why aren’t they at their homes eating?



David: Well, sweetie, these people lost their jobs. They might

not even have a home. They are here because they are hungry and can’t afford to buy food of their own.



Kayla: Well, why has this happened to them? I mean, that girl

there is around my age and, and, she is in line. Why are there kids here too



David: Because, when their parents lost their jobs, they might

have lost their homes too and their kids had nowhere to sleep. So, they came here.



Kayla: Oh, so, can they see us? I mean, can I go talk to that

girl?



David: Yes, they can see us. Go ahead. Don’t be afraid.



Kayla: I’m not. I will. Um, so, hi, I’m Kayla.



Sarah: Hi, I’m Sarah.



Kayla: So, um, why are you here? I mean, what happened to make

you come here?



Sarah: What? You don’t like our new digs?



Kayla: No, it’s not that, I just was wondering, ya know…



Sarah: Well, my dad’s work hours were cut and then, he got

laid off. We couldn’t pay our bills, so we lost our house too. That’s why we are here, we had no place to go.



Kayla: Oh, sorry. I mean, so where do you live?



Sarah: We live in the homeless shelter next door. It’s okay.

The people that run it are really nice and there are other kids there.



Kayla: Really? I, I didn’t know.



Sarah: That’s okay. I don’t mind much. At least I am with my mom

and dad. We’re together and that’s all that matters. I mean, I miss my old friends and my toys and stuff, but, since I have my family, I’ll be okay. Is that your dad over there?



Kayla: Um, yeah.



Sarah: He looks nice. Well, I gotta go. Nice talking to you!



Kayla: You too.



David: Well, how’d it go?



Kayla: Dad, I, um…I had no idea that there were people who

didn’t have homes and I feel really bad that I can’t do anything, I mean, shouldn’t people be helping them?





David: They are. Thanks to places like this soup kitchen and

homeless shelters along with Habitat for Humanity, people are getting help.



Kayla: But, I want to do something! I feel…



David: I know Kayla. I know…Are you ready for our next stop?



Kayla: Yes, I’m ready, I guess…



Narrator: So, Kayla held tight to her dad as the compass whisked

them through time and space to the children’s ward of a hospital.



Kayla: Dad, why are we in a hospital?



David: You will see, you will see.



Narrator: Kayla watched as kids were laughing and playing, all

the while hooked up to IVs and heart monitors. They were like any other kids except most of them had no hair.



Kayla: Dad, why don’t they have hair?



David: Kayla, these children have some form of cancer like

leukemia. They lost their hair when they went through chemotherapy.



Kayla: Are they gonna die?



David: Maybe, but, hopefully not. They have great doctors that

are well trained and do all they can for them.



Kayla: So, if they have cancer, why are they so happy?



David: I don’t know. You’ll have to ask them.



Kayla: okay, um…I will. Excuse me, um, hi.



Tommy: Hi, I’m Tommy and this is Bella and Jamie. What’s your

name?



Kayla: Oh! I’m Kayla. Hi.



Bella: Nice to meet you! So, why are you here?



Jamie: What Bella means is, are you someone’s friend or sister

or what?



Kayla: Oh, no, I am just visiting with my dad.



Tommy: Does he have cancer?



Kayla: No, he is standing over there.



Bella: He looks like a good dad.



Kayla: He is.



Jamie: So, why did you guys come here?



Kayla: Well, he wanted to show me what Christmas is all about.



Tommy: Oh, cool. But, why did he come here?



Kayla: I think it was to see you guys.



Bella: Why? What’s so special about us?



Kayla: Well, maybe the fact that you were laughing and playing

even though you have cancer, I mean, that is probably why.



Tommy: That’s cool and as for cancer, we may have cancer…



Bella, Jamie and Tommy: But cancer doesn’t have us!



Bella: Kayla, we have cancer, some have had it a long time and

some of us are worse than others, but, we are doing just fine.



Jamie: Yeah, talk about having a good excuse not to have to go

to gym class!



Tommy: Yeah, and we get to have ice cream whenever we want!



Bella: Not anytime we want. Anyway, I hope that you’ll come back

and visit us. Christmas is almost here and we love visitors.



Jamie: Yeah, and we always get a visit from Santa! You gotta

come! It is so much fun!





Kayla: Okay, well, I will try. It was really nice meeting all of

you.



Bella, Jamie, Tommy: You too!



Kayla: Dad?



David: Yes, Kayla?



Kayla: I hope that Bella, Tommy and Jamie are going to be okay.

They’re really nice and seem like a lot of fun.



David: I hope so too sweetie, I hope so too.



Narrator: David pulled out the special compass and he and Kayla,

once again, whisked through time and space to another place that would help our young Kayla realize what Christmas was all about. It was a home for the elderly and David and Kayla landed in their community room where many of the elderly were playing games, watching television and knitting.



Kayla: So, where are we?



David: In a retirement home, Kayla.



Kayla: There are so many grandparents here. Why do they live

here, Dad?



David: Well, Kayla, they live here because they need a little

help from nurses or doctors or, they just need to be in a community of people there age.



Kayla: Why?



David: Well, you know how my mom needs help with mowing her yard

and there are things around the house that she can’t do anymore.



Kayla: Yes…





David: Well, if she ever needed even more help, she could either

move in with us or move in a place like this.



Kayla: Oh, okay, I think I get it. So, people choose to come

here?



David: For the most part. But, some might not have another place

to go or might not have family.



Kayla: Oh, that’s sad.



David: Yes, it is. That is why, now that you are older, I wanted

you to see that there are a lot of people who would love to be adopted as grandparents.



Kayla: Adopted? Like as in a baby?



David: Not exactly, it just means that there are a lot of people

the age of your grandparents that don’t have children and family to visit, so we could visit them in a place like this.



Kayla: Oh, that makes sense. Hey! Look at that woman over there

in the chair by the window.



David: Yes? What about her?



Kayla: She looks so lonely. I think she might need to be

adopted. Can I go talk to her?



David: Be my guest.



Kayla: Um…hello, my name is Kayla.



Suzanne: Well, hello young lady. My, you are pretty as can be.



Kayla: Why thank you. I just noticed that you were sitting here

all alone and thought I would say, “Hello.”



Suzanne: That was so very sweet of you. My name is Suzanne and

yes, I was just looking out the window at the beautiful trees.



Kayla: Oh, that sounds nice. So, do you have a family?



Suzanne: Well, no, I just lost my husband recently, thank you

and I never did have any children. My sister tries to visit me once in awhile along with her two kids, but they are always so busy it seems.



Kayla: Oh, I am sorry about your husband. Um…would you like to

talk about it?



Suzanne: Well, thank you. You are a sweet girl. But really, I’m

fine, I just miss him and am so happy that he was a part of my life. Family is precious. Is that your Dad over there?



Kayla: Why, yes it is.



Suzanne: It was nice of him to bring you here. People like me

get lonely once in awhile and it is so nice to see young children like yourself to remind us of what it was like to be a kid.



Kayla: Well, it was nice of him and I, I think I know why he

brought me. But, I better get back to my mother and start working on my Christmas presents. I am going to make them this year.



Suzanne: Really? Why, the best Christmas presents are homemade,

you know. What are you going to make?



Kayla: Well, I like to weave potholders and I’ve just started

to learn how to make beaded necklaces and bracelets. I also can make pretty bookmarks too. My mom likes to knit, so she makes me scarves and mittens. It is really nice. It was great to meet you and I will try to come back sometime.



Suzanne: That would be just lovely. Take care and don’t forget

to hug your mom and dad. They must be pretty amazing to have such a nice daughter like you.



David: So, how’d it go?



Kayla: It was great. Her name is Suzanne. I think I just adopted

her, Dad.



David: Well, hold on tight, it’s time to go see your mother,

sweetie.







Narrator: And with that, David took out the compass and they

were whisked away to the place they had started, the mall, where Kayla’s mother was sitting on a bench near the Santa display.



Helen: Oh, there you guys are! I was wondering where you

wondered off too.



Kayla: Mom! Mom! We went to a soup kitchen, a hospital and a

retirement home! I met so many nice kids and a nice woman named Suzanne who I am adopting as a new grandparent!



Helen: David? What is she talking about?



David: It was time, sweetie…it was time for my Dad’s compass.



Helen: Ohhhh…really? Well, I guess she is the perfect age for

it. So, Kayla, what did you learn?



Kayla: Well, Mom, I learned a lot. I learned that some people

don’t have homes and they go to soup kitchens, but…the people I met or saw were happy. I learned that there are kids that have cancer, but they laugh and play like normal kids. I learned that there are grandparents out there that don’t have families and they need kids like me to visit them.



Helen: Wow…it sounds like you learned a great deal. I am very

proud of you.



David: Yes, Kayla, we are both proud of you.



Kayla: Mom?



Helen: Yes, dear?



Kayla: Could I talk to Santa one more time?



Helen: Of course you can.



Narrator: Kayla stood in line and waited amongst the many

children waiting to talk to Santa Claus. Finally, it was her turn to talk to the big guy.



Kayla: Hello again, Santa.



Santa: Well, hello. Did you forget something?



Kayla: Yes, yes, I did.



Santa: What was it?



Kayla: Santa, I really don’t need anything, what I need is if

you could help those people in the homeless shelter and at the soup kitchen and also visit my friends Tommy, Bella and Jamie and maybe even cure their cancer. Also, can you find some adopted grandkids for people like Suzanne and her friends at the retirement home down the road. Could you do those things?



Santa: Well, Kayla…you have been busy thinking of quite a

special list of things that would help others. I will see what I can do. My suggestion to you is that you pray every night for God to help those people and maybe, just maybe, your prayers will be answered. The world is filled with so many people that need prayers from children like you. Take care and here is a candy cane.



Kayla: Thank you, Santa. I will pray. And…well, thanks.



Santa Claus: You’re welcome.



Kayla: Dad?



David: Yes, Kayla?



Kayla: Can we go to the soup kitchen for Christmas and help

serve people food?



David: Sounds good to me, what do you think, Helen?



Helen: I’m in. That is a great idea, Kayla.



Kayla: Um, can we also go the hospital and visit my friends?



David: Yes, we can do that. Why don’t you go through some of

your toys that are still good and we can deliver them to your friends.



Kayla: That’s a great idea! Oh, also,…I want to visit Suzanne at

the retirement home, can I mom?



Helen: You certainly can. Now, let’s go home, maybe we can make

some cookies for all of your new friends.



Kayla: I think Suzanne would love some homemade cookies. She

says that homemade presents are always the best.



David: And some presents are ones that truly keep giving every

day.



Kayla: What do you mean, Dad?

David: I mean, you. You are the best present your mother and I

have ever received.



Kayla: Awww…that’s cool. Well, let’s go, we have a lot to do

before Christmas.



Helen: Yes we do.



David: Yes, we most certainly do.

No comments:

Post a Comment